Our website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the website without modifying your cookie settings you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here.

Change to SSE Airtricity Republic of Ireland at any time using the links provided.

Sir Chris Hoy: from competitor to supporter

Glasgow 2014 is a “massive opportunity” to inspire a new generation to become UK sports stars of the future, says Sir Chris Hoy.

The six gold medal-winning Olympic champion, in an exclusive interview, also revealed his “excitement” at being a spectator for the first time in 30 years.

A different perspective

Sir Chris, himself a veteran of several Commonwealth Games, said of Glasgow 2014: “It’s a massive opportunity to reach out to a whole generation of kids who saw the London games and be inspired for the future.”

“It will be exciting to be a spectator," he added. “For 30 years I have always competed, so this time I will be able to soak up the atmosphere. It’s a chance to enjoy the games as a spectator. And being at home it’s a unique experience to be on the other side of the fence.”

How the Games shaped Sir Chris

Sir Chris said the Commonwealth Games had played a vital role in his own career, not least Manchester in 2002.

“Winning in gold in Manchester gave me the belief that I could actually do this,” he said. “It was my first individual win and was very important for me. I saw Scots had travelled down to support me so I felt right at home.”

And he revealed that a Commonwealth Games experience much earlier in his life had stayed with him.

A fascinated Chris Hoy, aged just 10, watched at home in Edinburgh as fellow Scot Eddie Alexander won bronze a few miles away in the sprint event at the 1986 Commonwealth Games. “I remember watching Eddie Alexander on the TV at home and that was the first time I had ever seen a velodrome. The sprint is very much a cat and mouse game and I remember thinking, ‘Why doesn’t he just overtake him? I was already involved in cycling with my BMXing, but I was fascinated.”

He added: “That’s what is so good about the Commonwealth Games - there is something for everyone.”