We’re aware that some of our customers may have special requirements where continuity of their energy supply is very important. Our Code of Practice on Vulnerable Customers outlines the services and protections we provide for customers with special requirements.
- If you're critically dependent on electrically powered equipment, which includes but is not limited to life protecting devices and assistive technologies to support independent living or medical equipment, you may be eligible for inclusion on the Medical Customer Care Register.
- If you’re considered vulnerable due to advanced age or physical, sensory, intellectual, or mental health reasons, you may be eligible for inclusion on the Customer Care Register.
You may be able to avail of these services and if so it’s important to let us know.
Benefits of registering
• There are measures in place to protect registered vulnerable customers against disconnections during certain periods of the year.
• In the event of a planned outage, Networks will contact you at least three days in advance so you can make alternative arrangements.
• We offer braille and large print communications to customers who are Visually Impaired.
Did you know?
You can add a nominated contact to your account who can speak to us on your behalf. You can also have your communications sent to this person by post or email, if required.
How to register
To register for Medical Customer Care or Customer Care or to add a nominated contact to your account, please email IrelandCarelineTeam@sse.com.
If you do not have access to email you can also call 0345 601 9093 our Customer Service Team, we’re available Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm.
You can view our Code of Practice on Vulnerable Customers here.
We understand that keeping on top of your energy bills can be difficult. If you’re worried about your energy costs, there are some things we can do to help you.
If you’re finding your energy bills difficult to manage, our team will help you by;
- Revising a repayment plan that suits you
- Reviewing your payment methods and finding one that works best for you
- Sharing resources and details of experts who can help advise on you helping manage your debt
Call us on 0345 601 9093 and select ‘payment and billing’ option so we can explain your bill to you and arrange a payment plan if you need one.
If you’re already on a payment plan with us and your circumstances have changed, call us and we’ll discuss the different solutions available for you to help manage your account. You may find it helpful to talk to Advice NI who provide a range of advice services including Welfare Reform, Money, Tax & Benefits and Business Debt. You can call their office on 028 9064 5919 or visit their website www.adviceni.net.
You may also wish to seek advice from the Consumer Council’s Support and Advice in Northern Ireland. You can visit their website consumercouncil.org.uk/energy or call 028 9025 1600. You can contact Citizens Advice free and confidential Debt Advice Service on 0800 028 1881 or email email@example.com.
We’re committed to working with our customers and supporting them when they need it most.
Last year we established the customer support scheme, which includes a range of measures designed to support customers, households and individuals who are experiencing significant challenges in dealing with the rising cost of living.
These measures total up to £21m, including initiatives such as;
- We offered financial support to 7,000 customers in long term debt in Winter of 2021
- In June 2022, we made a €1 million donation to St Vincent de Paul (SVP) to support households in need of financial assistance. Read more about SSE Airtricity and St Vincent de Paul here.
- In September we announced a price promise which will offset the current price change for around 60,000 eligible customers.
- In October 2022, we provided Bryson Charitable Group, one of Northern Ireland’s leading support agencies, with a donation of £1 million that aims to support households in need of financial assistance during the current cost of living crisis. For more, here.