We’re committed to working with our customers and our communities supporting them when they need it most. By being our customer you’re helping to build a greener future for Ireland.
Last year we established the customer support scheme, which includes a range of measures designed to support customers, households and individuals who are experiencing significant challenges in dealing with the rising cost of living. These measures were enhanced earlier this year totaling up to €25m and providing the most comprehensive customer support package of any energy company in Ireland:
• We offered financial support to 7,000 customers in long term debt in Winter of 2021
• A discretionary fund of €850,000 was established to provide direct support to customers in difficulty, with eligible customers contacted directly by our teams
• We announced a price promise in September which will offset recent price changes for around 60,000 eligible customers
• In November SSE Airtricity announced that we expect to forego profit this year, instead focusing on our customer support and doing everything we can to help shield customers from ongoing market volatility
As part of this initiative, we’ve also supported local charities; including
- In June 2022, we made a €1 million donation to St Vincent de Paul (SVP) to support households in need of financial assistance. Read more about SSE Airtricity and St Vincent de Paul here.
- We added another £1 million in October 2022, to Bryson Charitable Group one of Northern Ireland's leading support agencies, supporting households in need of financial assistance during the current cost of living crisis. Read more about SSE Airtricity and Bryson Charitable Group here
SSE, through the SSE Renewables Community Funds, supports local communities on an ongoing basis providing voluntary community funding to community groups near each of our wind farms across the country. This funding contributes to the social, environmental and economic well-being of local communities for decades to come. For more information on these Community Funds click here.
We support our communities through our sponsorships. Sponsorships such as:
Supporting LGBT Ireland & The Rainbow Project
SSE Airtricity has partnered with LGBT Ireland & The Rainbow Project (Northern Ireland)
- Rainbow Project – This partnership will enable The Rainbow Project secure additional support services for people in Northern Ireland through the creation of a new BAME Health and Wellbeing Officer role.
- LGBT Ireland – we’ve supported LGBT Ireland with a fully funded initiative for the first time and that enables them to keep the Helpline free of charge for those who need support or to speak in confidence and without judgement.
The SSE Arena, Belfast
The SSE Arena, Belfast is Northern Irelands premier entertainment venue and home to the Belfast Giants. As sponsor of the venue, we offer our customers exclusive presales and money can’t buy experiences at The SSE, Arena Belfast.
As partner to W5 Energise Zone, we offer our customers exclusive discounts and rewards to W5. W5 is Science & Discovery Centre in Belfast and a perfect day out for the family. The Energise zone challenges you to use your own physical power to bring our energy-themed interactive exhibits to life.
DIY SOS - The Big Build Ireland
Demonstrating our commitment to Irish communities, we support presenter Baz Ashmawy and the crew at locations across the country, as they transform each home in just nine days thanks to the generosity of volunteers, tradespeople, and supplier donations. Through our Energy Services team we bring our expertise to the builds, improving the quality of life for each family, reducing their carbon emissions, and providing 100% green energy† to all of the participants’ homes at no cost for one year. For more, read here.
SSE Airtricity League
As sponsors of the Mens & Womens Premier & first division teams we’ve worked with players, supporters and the teams of the leagues in delivering a number of initiatives to help them on their sustainability journey.
- As the winners of the inaugural SSE Airtricity A Common Goal sustainability award and €25,000 retrofit prize, Sligo Rovers have transformed the clubs lighting after an upgrade with the SSE Airtricity Energy Services team. For more information, visit here.
- To read more about our “A Common Goal” campaign, visit here.
As sustainability partner to Dublin Zoo, we offer our customers exclusive discounts and rewards for Irelands number 1 family attraction. Visit our Eco Explorers Hub where you can learn more about biodiversity, sustainability and green living.
SSE Rewards gives our customers exclusive presales, discounts and money can’t buy experiences. Sign up to SSE Reward today.
The SSE Renewables division of SSE is delivering the green energy the world needs
Their strategy is to lead the transition to a net zero future through the world-class development, construction and operation of renewable power assets and they’re building more offshore wind energy than any other company in the world. For more information, read here.
Net Zero Acceleration Programme
While our customers are affected by market price increases, we’re striving to create a brighter energy future for our customers and the environment. Through SSE’s Net Zero Acceleration Programme, we continue to push forward and be the UK and Ireland’s clean energy champion. We source our electricity for our home and business customers through renewable energy sources, such as our 28 onshore SSE wind farms across Ireland.
We’re committed to being a leading renewable energy supplier. SSE is investing €7 million a day into building renewable infrastructure across Ireland and Great Britain. This will help ensure our energy future is greener and more secure by providing a balanced portfolio of renewable energy that will eventually reduce our reliance on fossil fuels. SSE has ambitious plans for offshore wind and is investing up to €2.5 billion to develop phase two of Arklow Bank Wind Park to its full potential. When completed, the project will be capable of powering almost 850,000 homes each year and will have a transformative impact on the energy market.
This investment will help tackle energy prices for homes and businesses around Ireland and play a significant part in meeting the targets set out in the Climate Action Plan 2021. We’ll continue to champion green energy and green energy solutions as we support customers on the net zero journey.