Solar energy is the power provided by the sun, harnessed through technology called photovoltaic (PV) cells, which turn sunlight directly into electricity.
People in Ireland and all over the world are installing solar panels on their rooftops to take advantage of this clean, renewable way to join Generation Green.
- Save on your electricity costs Nobody likes big energy bills. By using solar energy to power your home, you’re reducing your reliance on the national grid and could save up to 50%* on your annual electricity costs. Your solar panels will provide your home with the electricity you need for free. So, you’ll only be paying for electricity when your system needs to switch back to the grid. Adding battery storage to your solar system can further reduce reliance on the grid as you’ll be able to store excess solar energy for later use.
- Solar power all year round
Let’s face it, what’s cooler than the sun powering your home? Solar power is available in every area, every day. There are myths around solar energy, especially in Ireland where we have prolonged periods within sunshine! Solar energy is generated from daylight and does not need direct sunlight to be effective. And while the sun may not always give you a warm glow, during those dark winter months in Ireland, daylight is still helping to power your home. So even on cloudy, rainy days, your panels will be working to produce energy. Also, all solar systems installed by Activ8 are designed specifically for the Irish climate, so you can capture every ounce of solar energy available, every day of the year.
- Help to protect our environment
An over-reliance on fossil fuels is having a massive impact on rising global temperatures. These fossil fuels produce harmful emissions affecting the quality of our air, water and soil. By choosing solar panels to power your home you’re choosing an emission-free and 100% clean, green energy. This will reduce your overall carbon footprint significantly. So, you’re doing your part in creating a cleaner climate.
- Future-proof your home for the next generation of energy
Can you imagine a world where you’re paid for the energy your home produces? In the changing world of home energy, installing solar panels will future proof your home to sell energy back to the grid. Under the government’s recently published Climate Action Plan, it’s hoped that by 2022 homeowners with solar PV panels will be able to sell excess energy back to the national grid. This microgeneration will allow you to control your energy future.
- With SEAI grants available, there’s never been a better time
There’s never been a better time to consider solar. Home owners can now avail of an SEAI grant of up to €3,800 towards a solar PV installation. The grant grows with the size of the system from 1kWp up to 4kWp (up to €2,800) and whether there is a battery included (€1,000). Support is available for homes built and occupied before 2011 and where SEAI have not previously provided support for solar PV systems at the address. Now is the time to act - these grants may only be available for a limited time.
Perhaps one last compelling reason to choose solar for your home is it can be installed and ready to go in only one day. You can start saving money and supporting the environment in a few simple steps.