The 38th running of the SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon took place on Sunday 29th of October, with a record number of 20,000 entries.
SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon, Race Director Jim Aughney said: “We are delighted to have a record entry and to be the fifth biggest marathon in Europe. The marathon has grown 10-fold from just over 2,000 runners in 1980 to 20,000 in 2017.”
Benard Rotich of Kenya took the men’s title in 2:15:52 with Olympian, Yurri Ruskyuk of Ukraine only three seconds behind in 02:15:55. This improved on his fifth-place finish, last year of 2:16:16. Ethiopia’s Asefa Bekele matched his third place of 2016 crossing the line in 2:15:58.
Freddy Sittuk of Raheny Shamrocks AC improved on his fifth-place finish of 2016 finishing fourth in 02.16.05. Sittuk also took the national title, with 42-year-old Gary O’Hanlon (Clonliffe Harriers A.C.) in second in a personal best in of 2:18:52. Last year’s national champion Sergiu Ciobanu was third in 02.19.05.
In the women’s elite race, Nataliya Lehonkova of Ukraine dominated from gun to tape winning in 2:28:57. Lehonkova is now a double winner having taken the 2015 SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon title. Ashu Kasim of Ethiopia was second in 02.34.35 and was followed home closely by Viktoriya Khapilina Ukraine of 02.35.54.
Laura Graham (Mourne Runners) was the fourth athlete home in 02.39.06 and also retained her national title. Olympian Caitriona Jennings of Letterkenny AC finished second in the national championships with 02.42.36. Pauline Curley third in 02.50.53 (Tullamore Harriers A.C.).
The recipient of the Lord Mayor's Medal was Mairead Tywang who was running her first marathon in memory of her little girl Searlait who sadly passed away in 2016 aged five, after a brave battle against childhood cancer. Mairead took to the roads to run to help her cope with the overwhelming grief. Mairead has raised over €50,000 which she has donated to Aoibheanns Pink Tie the “National Children’s Cancer Charity.”
SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon Results 2017
- Bernard Rotich: 02.15.52 – Kenya
- Yurii Ruskyuk: 02.15.55 – Ukraine
- Asefa Legese Bekele: 02.15.58 - Ethiopia
- Nataliya Lehonkova: 02.28.57 - Ukraine
- Ashu Kasim: 02.34.35 – Ethiopia
- Viktoriya Khapilina: 02.35.54 - Ukraine
Dublin Marathon National Championships Results
- Freddy Sittuk: 02.16.05 - Raheny Shamrocks A.C.
- Gary O’Hanlon: 02.18.52 - Clonliffe Harriers A.C.
- Sergiu Ciobanu: 02.19.05 - Clonliffe Harriers A.C.
- Laura Graham: 02.39.06 - Mourne Runners
- Caitriona Jennings: 02.42.36 - Letterkenny A.C.
- Pauline Curley: 02.50.53 - Tullamore Harriers A.C
Dublin Marathon Wheelchair Championship Results:
- Patrick Monahan: 01.49.55
- Richie Powell: 02.15.28
- Susanne McGrath: 03.35.40