SSE Renewables is Ireland’s largest renewable energy developer, responsible for the development and construction of SSE Group’s renewable energy projects across the country. We have invested over €1 billion in Irish renewables to date, building onshore and offshore wind farms, hydro, marine and solar projects.
SSE Ireland has over 500MW of renewable energy capacity across Ireland and has almost 1400MW of onshore and offshore wind farm capacity under construction or with consent for development.
|With consent for development||1,373MW|
Our generation investments across Ireland are guided by the same principles we apply to our entire generation portfolio:
- Compliance: with all safety standards and environmental requirements.
- Capacity: to meet the electricity needs of domestic and small business customers.
- Diversity: to avoid over-dependency on particular fuels or technology.
- Availability: to respond to customer demand and market conditions.
- Flexibility: to ensure that changes in demand for electricity can be addressed.
- Sustainability: to deliver a 50% cut in the carbon dioxide content of electricity produced.
Our parent company, SSE is the largest generator of electricity from renewable sources across the UK and Ireland. At 31 March 2012, SSE had 3,020MW of renewable energy capacity in the UK and Ireland, including its share of joint ventures, comprising: