Our website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the website without modifying your cookie settings you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here.

Change to SSE Airtricity Northern Ireland at any time using the links provided.

All Moving House topics

I'm a tenant and I'm moving out. How do I transfer the account to my landlord?

If you’re moving out you’ll need to:

  • Contact our 'Moving Home' team by emailing movinghouse@airtricity.com or calling 1850 81 22 20 (select 'Moving House' option), and
  • Contact your landlord and let them know that they will need to contact us directly to take over the account.

To help, you can submit your landlord’s name and contact details when you close your account, but you still have to contact them as well.

This is your responsibility - if you don’t let your landlord know what to do, your old property may be disconnected and you might be liable for the charges.

Unfortunately for data protection reasons, you can’t transfer your SSE Airtricity account to your landlord.


Not sure about something on your bill? Get the jargon, usage, charges and meter readings explained.

Learn more about your bill

Contact Us?