Our website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the website without modifying your cookie settings you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here.

Change to SSE Airtricity Northern Ireland at any time using the links provided.

My tenants are moving out, what do I need to do?

What can we help you with?

My tenants are moving out, what do I need to do?

Take a meter read on the day your tenants are moving out. On the same date get in touch with us. Have the meter read available and also the SSE Airtricity account number or MPRN number and a forwarding address - if your tenants receive their bills by post we will send the final bill to this address.

You'll also need the details of the new tenants moving in, including their bank details (otherwise they will have to pay a deposit). If you don't have these details, or if new tenants aren't moving in, the supply will transfer into your name. If this is the case, please have your bank details to hand or you'll need to pay the deposit.