When you sign up to SSE Airtricity, we'll take care of everything to get you switched over. Find out what happens if you're a new electricity customer, and how long it will take to get up and running.
You can sign up online, by phone or through a door-to-door salesperson.
We'll contact your old supplier and initiate the switch.
You'll receive your new SSE Airtricity account number.
We'll verify your meter reading to make sure your first bill is right.
Your old supplier will send your last bill.
You'll receive your first bill; this will be dated back to when you signed up.
Important things to know
- Timings may vary, but everything should happen within 4 to 6 weeks
- Don't worry if you don't hear from us; this means your switch is going as planned. We'll only call if something goes wrong
- Your supply won't ever be disrupted, even if the switching process takes longer than normal.
Things that can slow down the switching process
If there are any delays with your switchover, we'll always let you know.
- Your meter reading was too high/too low
If your new meter wasn't read correctly or if the wrong meter was read, we'll ask you to submit another reading (we have a Meter Reading Guide if you need it).
- Wrong MPRN number
Your MPRN number changes every time you move as it’s linked to your property, not your account. If this happens, we’ll only find out when NIE Transmission and Distribution verifies your first meter reading and provides us with the correct number for your property.
- Incorrect bank details (for direct debit customers)
If any of your details weren't entered correctly, we may not be able to set up your direct debit or process your first payment.
When you should contact us
If any of your details including your name, email, address or phone number weren't entered correctly during signup, we may not be aware or be able to contact you if there's a problem. So please let us know if:
- Your Welcome Letter hasn't arrived within 2 weeks.
- Your first SSE Airtricity bill hasn't arrived within 4 to 6 weeks (check My SSE Airtricity first if you signed up to eBilling)
- You're having problems registering for My SSE Airtricity because your email address doesn't match.
Three things all new customers should know:
You don't have to submit meter readings but your bill will be more accurate if you do.
Ways to pay
There are lots of ways to pay and you can make payments towards your next bill at any time. All you need is your SSE Airtricity account number to get started.
Are you getting all of our discounts? Sign up for both eBilling and direct debit to get the best rates possible.